Check-Six Online Museum
Land / Terrestrial Wing
World War I
"Victory Liberty Loan" Drive Medal - Made From A Captured German
The Government always needs more money, and the Great
War, or "War to End All Wars," was to be no exception. Liberty loans or bonds were sold by the
federal government during World War I (1917-1919) to raise money for the
war. These were labeled as 'loans,' because they promised interest
to the bearer.
As one advertisement from the period
wrote: "The money to be raised by the Victory Liberty loan already has
been spent, it. furnished the "'punch'" thatwon the war and saved the lives
of 100,000 of America's bravest boys. It is this unshed blood you are paying
when you subscribe to the Victory Liberty loan."
|Place your pointer over the photo
to see the reverse of the medallion
On March 3, 1919, the "Victory Liberty Loan
Act" was signed into law.
The medals were made from German cannons captured by American troops at
Chateau Thierry. These cannons were melted, and the metal roiled
into sheets, from which the medals are made, and conferred by the
Treasury Department on volunteers in the Victory Liberty loan campaign
About a half dollar in size piece, the obverse of the medal,
exhibits a eagle grasping three
arrows in one claw, and an olive branch in the other, flying below the
U.S. Treasury Building, and reads "Victory Liberty Loan".
The reverse reads: "Awarded - By the U.S. Treasury Department For
Patriotic Service In Behalf of the Liberty Loans - Made From Captured
Pullman Railroad Car Aluminum
Sample Token from 1933 World's Fair
Place your pointer over the photo
to see the reverse of the medallion
The 1933 'Century of Progress' World's Fair
in Chicago celebrated the city's centennial, and the theme of the fair was
technological innovation. The fair was opened on May 27, 1933, when
the lights were turned on with energy from the rays of the star Arcturus,
chosen as its light had started its journey at about the time of the
previous Chicago world's fair - the "World Columbian
Exposition" - in 1893. The rays were focused on photo-electric cells
in a series of astronomical observatories and then transformed into
electrical energy which was transmitted to Chicago. One of the
highlights of the 1933 World's Fair was the arrival of the German airship
"Graf Zeppelin" on October 26, 1933. Originally, the fair
was scheduled only to run until November 12, 1933, but it was so
successful that it was opened again to run from May 26, 1934, to October
This Union Pacific 1934 'Lucky Piece' contains a wonderful
image of a classic Deco styled train engine portrayed on the front of
the coin. The reverse reads "A sample of the aluminum in the new
Union Pacific Train built by Pullman Car & Mfg. Corp. Aluminum Co. of
America" and shows the logo of Alcoa, the world’s leading aluminum
Brothers "Campaign Cà d' Zan" Lucite Award
Cà d'Zan, John and Mable Ringling's
Venetian Gothic mansion on Sarasota Bay, is one of America's important
historic houses. The imposing structure was originally intended to combine
certain architectural features drawn from two of Mrs. Ringling's favorite
Venetian hotels: the Danieli and the Bauer-Grünwald. Dwight James Baum of
New York supervised final plans and the actual construction. The Ringlings
moved into the mansion just before Christmas in 1926. Cà d'Zan--which means "House of
John" in Venetian dialect--took two years to build at a cost of
approximately $1.5 million. The house is 200 feet long with 32
rooms and 15 baths. Its interior plan features the Court, a vast
two-and-a-half story room which served as the main living room. Kitchens,
pantries and servants' quarters are located in the south wing. Terra cotta
balustrades enclose an 8,000-square-foot terrace of variegated marble
overlooking Sarasota Bay.
Bricks, terra cotta "T"
blocks and poured concrete were the primary construction materials, and
terra cotta was the principal decorative material used (exterior and
interior) because the glazed finishes would best withstand Florida's
brilliant sun. Mable Ringling personally visited the kilns to make sure
the colors - soft red, yellow, blue, green and ivory - were precisely what
she wanted. Shipped from Barcelona were thousands of old, red barrel tiles
for the roof. The mansion is topped by a 60-foot tower, which the
Ringlings kept illuminated when they were in residence.
Mable died in June of 1929, at the age
of 54, just two-and-a-half years after Cà d'Zan was completed. John died
in 1936, at the age of 70, willing his collection of art, the Museum of
Art, the mansion and grounds to the state of Florida; however, ten years
passed before his estate was settled and the Museum was able to open its
doors in 1946. In July 2000, Florida legislation appointed Florida State
University as the guardian of the estate.
Cà d'Zan reopened April 27, 2002, with
a series of evening celebrations reminiscent of the original splendor that
John and Mable enjoyed in the 1920's. The restoration team, members of the
Conservation, Registration and Curatorial departments, proudly displayed
the results of painstaking research, restoration, and preservation on each
object and piece of furniture. Without the selfless help of many
volunteers who donated hours of work cleaning objects, and embroidering
and re-stitching fabrics, the work would have taken substantially longer.
(Text source: The Ringling Museum)
IMAGE COMING SOON
Rivet From the Golden Gate
The '''Golden Gate Bridge''' is a suspension bridge spanning the Golden
Gate, the opening into the San Francisco Bay from the Pacific Ocean. It connects the city of
San Francisco on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula and a portion of the south-facing
Marin County at the Marin Headlands near the small bayside town of
Sausalito, California. The entire bridge (including the approach) spans 1.7 miles (2.7 km) long; the distance between the towers ("main span") is 4,200 feet (1,280 m), and the clearance below the bridge is 220 ft (67 m) at mean high water. The two towers rise 746 feet (230 m) above the water. The diameter of the main suspension cables is 36 inches (0.91 m).
The Golden Gate Bridge was the
largest suspension bridge in the world when it was built in 1937 and has become an internationally recognized symbol of San Francisco.
The bridge is also widely considered one of the most beautiful examples of bridge engineering, both as a structural design challenge and for its aesthetic appeal. It was declared one of the modern
Seven Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. According to Frommer's travel guide, the Golden Gate Bridge is "possibly the most beautiful, certainly the most photographed, bridge in the world."
Overall, the rivet measures about an inch in height, and and half and
and half in diameter. Along with the rivet is an orange card, reading,
"An original rivet used in constructing the Golden Gate Bridge. It
was removed as part of the Bridge maintenance program, sandblasted and
handpainted with International Orange alkyd, as a memento of the World's
Most Famous Span."
Knife Made From Steel From The
"Honeymoon Bridge" Near Niagara Falls.
Designed by Leffert E. Buck, and built by the Pencoyd
Bridge Company of Philadelphia in 1898, the "Upper Steel Arch
Bridge", or the "Falls View" or "Honeymoon
Bridge", as it was later known, was a two-hinged steel arch bridge
connecting road traffic between Niagara Falls in New York state, and the
city of Clifton, in Ontario, Canada. At that
time it was the greatest steel arch bridge in the world.
In 1899, one year after the
completion of the Upper Steel Arch Bridge one of the most spectacular ice
bridges ever to be seen formed below the Falls. The ice gathered around
the abutments of the bridge to a height of 80 feet (24m) extending to the
base of the arch. The pressure of the ice against the steel abutments was
so great that it caused several steel pieces to bend. Men on both sides of
the border were employed to blast the ice away from the abutments. They
were successful in 1899 and during the summer months a series of
protective walls were built around the abutments to further protect them
from the onslaught of winter ice.
FOr nearly forty years, the bridge stood That was,
until January 23rd 1938, when a sudden wind storm on
Lake Erie sent a deluge of ice down river and over the Falls. Within
twelve hours the river below the Falls was jammed with ice of such
enormous proportions that the ice pressure pushing against the bridge
abutments and the hinge supports of the arch caused severe structural
damage. It was only a matter of time until the bridge would collapse.
The bridge remained intact
for several days, drawing thousands of people who came to wait for the end
of the bridge to come. The end of the Upper Steel Arch Bridge (Honeymoon
Bridge) came at 4:20 p.m. on January 27th 1938, when the span broke free
and fell into the gorge onto the ice on the river below. The ice had
pushed the bridge away from its abutment on the American side causing the
bridge to be pulled of its abutment on the Canadian shore. The only photographs
of the bridge collapse were taken by Frank O. Seed of Niagara Falls, New
York and Arthur Pink of Niagara Falls, Ontario.
The bridge fell onto the
river ice in one major piece. On February 2nd, salvage operations began
with attempts to break the bridge into four parts and to remove the debris
lying on the slopes of the gorge walls.
For safety reasons, the
span was broken into two pieces by use of dynamite. The two pieces of the
center span of the bridge remained on the ice until April 12th-13th 1938
when the ice broke apart and the two pieces disappeared under the surface. (Text
Most of the bridge sank into the Niagara River, never to
be seen again. However, some small portions of the bridge's steel
was recovered, and manufactured into souvenirs. This letter-opener
knife seen above is one such item. It is 8 inches in length, and
about an inch in width. It is engraved "Souvenir Made From the
original steel of the Honeymoon Bridge, Niagara Falls - Destroyed by the
Great Ice Jam - Jan., 27th, 1938" and bears the profile of the
bridge. It was made in Canada, and bears some oxidization from use
over the years.
the main gallery of the "Check-Six Online Museum"